Monday, July 13, 2009

A Phenomenal Slacker


I really do intend to blog more often, however the procrastinator within me coupled with my perfectionist expectations of myself, make it a challenge for me to sit down and write.
I keep emails in my inbox until I decide it's time to sit down and respond. I don't want to be rushed and not give my full attention to the email response, so I procrastinate...
My record for longest time between receiving an email and then responding to it is a year. A YEAR! I need to get better at that.
I think it might be my way of having a little power over my life. With balancing two precious little girls, bookkeeping & receptionist duties for Footprints Floors, part-time admin work for my dad's ministry, and trying to be a cheery wife and homemaker, I often find myself out of gas. I'm not sure why I feel the need to have power/control in my life, but this is probably one of the little ways I try to gain it.
I'll start with a small goal of writing once per week!
I'm also going to try to remember to put a simple question at the end of each entry to gain some insight into things that puzzle me. :)
Here's the question for today (although I don't know how "simple" it is):
What would drive someone to demand that another person spends some of his/her time with them? For example: If John asks Sally to come over and have tea with him, and Sally politely declines, why would John continue to badger Sally until she has to either a) give in simply to get him to stop bothering her, or b) tell John WHY she doesn't want to spend time with him and, more than likely, hurt his feelings? I have never pushed someone to spend time with me (well maybe my mom, sometimes :)) and I am so very puzzled as to why one would do this?
Maybe I will give a small prize to whomever has the best answer! :)

5 comments:

  1. Your question is fair, very fair. YOU never have to push ME to spend time with you, Silly. I always want to. But, it's sad when we get so needy that we must DEMAND and pride keeps us from simply telling the truth or asking the harder questions. Some people think that they are entitled to respect and love because of position - but when we live in the truth, positions mean nothing. You aren't a procrastinator, but you may be a perfectionist. That is an adorable picture of Birdie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no good answer for your question. But I think your post is lovely. You are a busy lady, I look forward to your one post a week. I'm with you on the procrastination deal. I just responded to an email I got a more than a month ago. I hate responding to something having given it less thought than it deserves.
    Now that I think about it, it is hard to answer that question because there are so many situations that look like that, but are that way for totally different reasons. Perhaps John wants to sell Sally insurance, and Sally doesn't want to buy insurance, so she declines. John doesn't care that Sally doesn't want to buy insurance, he's still going to bug her about it until she does or makes it clear that there is no other way. Perhaps John is lonely and overneedy, making his desire to be with Sally more powerful than his pride that tells him that he can find other friends. I think the more prevelent question in my world is: What makes me not want to be with people that Jesus loves, even though they want to be with me?
    Selfishness. I worry that someone will want something out of me that I don't want to give. The fact that they cause me irritation or discomfort because of some personality quirk, or genuine personality defect. But i'm sure there are more possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're far from a slacker, most the time you're over working homie... The word balance may not seem possible but everyone had a different definition... I'm proud of you and how much you do! Don't worry I won't hold it against you if you take a year to write back to an email of mine... cause i don't write you emails HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A year??? Really, I mean at that point isn't it really all just a lost cause. It's one thing not to respond but to wait for a year, i'm not even mad i'm just impressed.

    I like the idea of once a week more than once a month as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How intimidating to respond after reading those of your family! I was just going to compliment your word choice of "badger." :)

    I can't imagine how you get everything done you get done and still mangage to be such an upbeat and positive person as well as an amazing mommy!

    I'm a master procrastinator... that's why I still have yet to send out thank yous from Cam's birthday almost 2 monthes ago... something for which I'm sure my mother wants to murder me!

    Now the question...

    I bet John is oblivious -- too wrapped up in what is going on in his own world and his own desires to appreciate Sally's polite turndowns. Some people need to be hit over the head with it to get it. Sally should, without being dishonest, but also without being hurtful, let John know that making time for him is just very difficult at this point, but if something changes, she'll let him know. If he STILL doesn't get it, that's when she puts it all out there in the kindest but most direct way possible.

    Looking forward to your weekly blog! :)

    ReplyDelete